Location- 40 km westwards of Leh
Established by-Chosje Damma Kunga
Headed By- Red Hat Sect of Buddhism
Venue for- Gang-Sngon Tsedup Festival and Sacred Dance Festival
Placed around 40 km westwards of Leh town, Phyang Gompa belongs to the red hat sect of Buddhism. White and ochre colored monastery lies on a hill top and seems to be overlooking the surrounding village. The site where today the Gompa finds its footing was a small part of various monastic properties that were received as a gift by Chosje Damma Kunga, given by Dharmaraja Jamyang Namgial. Phyang Hills was the place of Tasi Chozong Gompa, which was founded way back in the year 1515. This monastery was offered to a monastic community that paved way for the foundation of Digung teachings in Ladakh that were started by Skyoba Jigsten Gonbo. On the other hand, it is believed that it was established by King Tashi Namgyal, during the third quarter of the 16th century.
Once its construction was completed, it became popular center of Digung teachings under Skyoba Jigsten Gonbo and is only one of the two Ladakh monasteries belonging to this school. Today, Phyang Gompa is headed by Apchi Choski Dolma. The monastery complex consists of a number of religious sites along with a number of wall paintings, depiction of the royal times, hanging on the walls. The prime attraction here is a 900-year old museum, which is home to an exquisite collection of things like thangkas, various idols, Mongolian, Tibetan and Chinese weapons and firearms and more.
The Gompa becomes the venue of Gang-Sngon Tsedup Festival, each year, starting from the 17th day up to the 19th day of the first month of the Tibetan calendar. it is also the scene of sacred dance festival, each year on the second and third day of the sixth month of Tibetan calendar.