How to Travel from Bangalore to Ladakh
Enthralling rides, picturesque destinations, memorable journeys, challenging roads, astonishing heights, and a mixed emotion throughout the trip is what defines Leh Ladakh in the best way possible. Bangalore to Leh Ladakh road trip looks a bit tiring and exhaustive during iteration but when it comes to life, things become simply inexplicable. Undeniably, the entire circuit from Bangalore is going to be a bit more exhaustive but it will be worth everything at the end of the tunnel.
This is an exhaustive Bangalore to Ladakh travel guide that will help all the travelers from the Silicon Valley of India to visit here and enjoy their time throughout. Perfectly tucked between the two majestic mountain ranges; one being the Great Himalayas and the second Karakoram. This scenic newly made union territory is a dream destination for riders and there have been multiple people who have gone for a bike trip from Bangalore to Leh Ladakh.
Bangalore is often referred to as “biker’s hub” and several crews travel to Ladakh each year in groups to enjoy their trip. Though the real journey starts post Manali or Pathankot but the Ladakh trip from Bangalore is memorable and full of mixed emotions.
If you too are planning to visit Ladakh from Bangalore then here are a few things that you should keep in mind. All the important elements are termed in this extensive guide; therefore it wouldn’t be wrong to say that this is a complete road trip guide from Bangalore to Ladakh.
How to Plan a Trip to Ladakh From Bangalore: Everything you need to know!
Bangalore to Ladakh Road trip – Route
A road trip from Bangalore to Leh Ladakh is going to be tiring but blissful for all the good causes. How to reach Ladakh from Bangalore, is a very important question to answer. Though there are as many as 5 different routes to reach Leh Ladakh from Bangalore but the major ones are Srinagar- Leh highway and the Manali- Leh highway. They are the best routes and you get to enjoy all the important destinations along the way.
|Route||Bangalore to Leh Route Map||Distance||Places to Stay|
|Delhi -Srinagar- Leh Highway||Bangalore - Delhi - Chandigarh- Pathankot- Jammu- Srinagar- Sonmarg- ZojiLa- Drass- Kargil- Mulbek – Namika La – Fotu La – Hangro Loops – Khaltse – Nimmu – Leh||3,151 km||Srinagar, Sonmarg, Kargil, Drass, Mulbekh, Lamayuru, Uley Tokpo, Alchi, Likir, Leh|
|Delhi- Manali- Leh Highway||Bangalore- Delhi- Chandigarh- Mandi- Kullu- Manali- Rohtang La- Suraj Tal- Baralacha La- Gata Loops- Nakee La- Lungalach La- Morey Plains- Taglang La- Leh||3,156 km||Khoksar, Sissu, Keylong, Jispa, Darcha, Bharatpur, Sarchu, Pang, Rumtse, Upshi|
Delhi -Srinagar- Leh Highway
One of the best routes srinagar-leh highway with all the facilities along the way. You don’t have any accommodation problems or places to eat and even petrol pumps and ATMs are available here.
This is the best, quickest, and most preferred route amongst the rest of the routes. The other two routes divert from Kargil itself. One goes from Skurbuchan and the other one goes from Chitkan. You can take whichever you feel like but the one above mentioned is the best. You will see people taking this route and the most help can be obtained on this route itself.
Delhi- Manali- Leh Highway
A bit less taken but immensely beautiful throughout Leh is the Manali-Leh highway. From high-altitude places to challenging roads, travelers get to enjoy everything they were expecting here. But that does not mean they can be careless here.
Note: Mechanics are available at Khoksar, Tandi, Keylong, Darcha, Sarchu, Phang, and Upshi.
Tourist Attractions in Leh-Ladakh
Leh Ladakh is the land of high-passes and a place that is dotted with several monuments. One thing that Ladakh has in abundance is the beautiful melange of flora, fauna, and diversity in landscapes. This probably fascinates people to travel to Leh from Bangalore, Delhi, Rajasthan, Gujarat, and many other places around the country. The popular attractions of Leh Ladakh are:
- Zanskar Valley
- Monasteries throughout Ladakh
- Nubra Valley
- Pangong Tso
- Moriri Tso
- Khardung La
- Leh City
- Leh Palace
- Kargil War Memorial
Best time to visit Leh Ladakh
The best time to visit Ladakh from Bangalore or any other part of India on a road trip is during summers. This is between May end and early September. This is the right time because the entire circuit remains open usually throughout these months if the snow didn’t play the culprit.
Availability of Petrol Pumps in Leh Ladakh
It is better to keep cans filled while leaving Manali because there is a scarcity in this stretch. You will get the last petrol pump in Tandi and then the next one at Karu approximately 300 km apart. On the other hand, while traveling from Bangalore to Leh through Srinagar, you will have no problem finding petrol pumps. There are an ample number of stations throughout. However, if you feel you need to have a petrol can, you can still have it if you want it. To know more about petrol pumps availability in Ladakh Click Here!
ATM Facilities in Leh City
ATMs are available in Manali, Keylong, and then Leh. These are a few important things that a person has to keep in mind before embarking on their journey to Leh from Bangalore. On the other hand, while traveling through the Srinagar highway, you will have enough places to withdraw cash till Kargil.
While you start traveling from Bangalore to Leh, You should have your valid driving license, the pollution checking document of the vehicle, the registration confirmation card, and the insurance paper of the vehicle. All these documents are important and police officers can demand to show these anywhere throughout the trip. You should have them readily available.
Requirement of Permits
Apart from them, you don’t need any permits till Leh. Though you will have to get your bike registered at Kargil if taking the Srinagar route. From Leh, you will have to visit the magistrate's office to get the permit for various places in Leh Ladakh. The list of places for which you need permits includes Khardung La, Khardung Village, Chang La, Durbuk, Khalsar, Diskit, Hunder, Warshi, Turtuk, Sumur, Tangtse, Spangmik, Takashi, Panamik, Agham Shyok, Tangyar Trek, Wari La, and a few more. An Inner Line Permit is important for every rider or person visiting here because these places are either offbeat or closer to Pakistan.
Preparing a checklist
As traveling from Bangalore to Leh Ladakh will be a long journey you need to be well-prepared for any adversity as well as the changing temperature and weather. Needless to mention, your itinerary should always be tailed with the checklist that’s required. So here are a few things that you will have to not miss out on while packing your bags for your trip from Bangalore to Leh.
What clothes should I pack for a Ladakh Trip
One of the main things that you will have to keep in mind while preparing your checklist is clothes. Bangalore to Ladakh journey will take through plains, hills, to mountains; the drastic change in temperature is something assertive and you have to be prepared for that. Pack warm clothes in your bag and try wearing layers to enjoy your trip from Bangalore to Ladakh. Wearing layers is beneficial because when you travel through hot places, you can simply remove them and while you head towards the mountains, you will feel the chills, and then you can put them on. This is the flexibility with layers of clothes.
Recommended Medicines for Ladakh Trip
Do keep a few medicines with yourself because it is going to be important. There can be a time when you might feel sick or something and taking a pill would be the only option left. So, during this majestic trip from Bangalore to Leh make sure you have a first aid kit. Keep lotions and ointments for bruises and scars. Do keep medicines of cough and cold because even in June-July when the circuit gets open, Ladakh has cold temperature; owing to its location at the foothills of Himalayas.
Throughout the journey, you are going to travel through various landscapes and this makes it important for you to have various protective accessories like sunglasses, gloves, sunscreen, lip balm, body lotion, moisturizer. All these would come in handy once you enter Jammu and onwards. Keep applying the lotions and sunscreen to protect your skin from sun and chilly winds.
Riding gears are important
Not everyone takes it seriously but riding gears are of utmost importance. You might be a seasoned rider but you still need to have all your gears on. A riding jacket, a good cushioning helmet, knee guards are the least to have. It will not only keep you safe but will add an extra layer of protection from the adversity of the climate. There are thermal riding jackets (obviously detachable), you can get one of those and put the thermal layer in Pathankot.
Do not rely on buying a water bottle on the go. Make sure you have a couple of 1 ltr bottles and keep drinking water at regular intervals. Keeping yourself hydrated on this trip is of utmost importance.
True, you won’t be packing any food items but why not some wafers? You can munch them whenever you halt.
Keep a sufficient number of batteries and a power bank as well. This is important because you will not have to worry about your mobile battery dying in the middle of nowhere. You will always have a backup and you can charge your action camera, mobile, and other electronic items on the go.
Tips to keep in mind while embarking on the journey Bangalore to Ladakh
- Before starting your journey Bandalore to Ladakh, make sure that you consult your doctor. AMS or Acute Mountain Sickness is a serious thing and riders should not take it lightly.
- On your bike trip to Leh Ladakh, you should be carrying all the medicines prescribed by the doctor.
- Although your body would be acclimatizing while you go up the mountain but you still should take regular breaks and spend a night at Leh so that you are completely sure that your body has adjusted to the lower atmospheric pressure and lesser oxygen.
- Only when you are sure about your acclimatization should you visit the attractions of Leh Ladakh such as Khardung La.
- Make sure that you are well-equipped with petrol cans while leaving Manali because, on Manali-Leh highways, you are going to have a hard time if you don’t carry jerry cans. The last petrol pump on this route is in Tandi and then you will see one after 320 km in Karu. So, be prepared if taking this route.
- If taking the Manali-Leh highway, be ready for high-altitude, challenging roads, and especially Gata loops. One of the major problems that people find themselves in is dehydration. Keep yourself hydrated all the time and make sure you are taking regular breaks.
- The key to enjoyment during the trip of Bangalore to Leh is taking regular halts and enjoying the view that comes along. On both the main routes you will have ample awe-inspiring views and attractions. Stop by at these and enjoy.
- Keep all the documents and do get some photocopies of all the documents while you start the ride. This is also important because there are several places where you will have to show and submit these documents.
- Make sure you have your bike in the best condition before starting your journey from Bangalore to Leh Ladakh. Get the engine oil and other parts changed or checked properly. Also, make sure that while you start this journey, you have extra engine oil, clutch wire, and chain with lube and clean.
- While you carry out your journey, keep lubricating your bike’s chain regularly so that it has a long life and you don’t suffer any problem related to it.
- Keep a puncture kit in your bag so that you are able to use it in adverse times. There are more chances of something happening like this on the Manali to Leh highway.
- How to Prepare for Ladakh Trip
- Facilities in Ladakh
- Family Trip to Ladakh
- How and Where to Carry Spare Fuel
- Ladakh With Parents - Senior Citizens
- How to Carry Laptop
- ATM and Bank Facilities in Leh City
- Things to Carry for Ladakh Winter Trip
- Where & How to Rent an Oxygen Cylinder
- Ladakh in June
- Ladakh in May
- Ladakh in July
- Ladakh in September
- Ladakh in October
- Ladakh in August
- Ladakh in November
- Leh to Nubra Valley
- Delhi to Ladakh
- Bangalore to Ladakh
- Pangong Lake to Tso Moriri
- Travel from Manali to Leh
- Leh to Tso Moriri
- How to Travel to Pangong Tso
- How to Travel Nubra Valley to Pangong Tso via Wari
- Srinagar to Leh
- Leh to Khardung La
- Stay in Ladakh
- Rent a Bike in Ladakh
- Rent a Bike in Leh
- Rent a Bike in Srinagar
- Rent a Bike in Manali
- Mobile Phone Services in Ladakh
- Hotels on Manali Leh Highway
- Hotels on Srinagar Leh Highway
- Hotels Near Tso Moriri
- Hotels in Leh
- Hotels Near Pangong Lake
- Hotels in Nubra Valley
- Mountain Biking
- Leh Jeep Safari
- Adventure Sports
- Mountaineering in Ladakh
- Camping in Ladakh
- Buddhism in Ladakh
- Cuisine in Ladakh
- River Rafting in Ladakh
- History & Culture
- Shopping in Ladakh
- Trekking in Ladakh
- Wildlife in Ladakh
- Tips and Suggestions
- Ladakh in January
- Ladakh in December
- Clothes to carry for your Ladakh Trip
Trending Ladakh Tour Packages