How to Rent a Bike in Leh
Leh is one of the most visited places over the past decade intriguing young riders a lot. This has led people to research for things like How to rent a bike in Leh? where should we stay? What all clothes should we carry? How should we plan the entire trip and so on? Finding all of this is a must but equally challenging too.
Where most people pick and tune their bikes to visit Ladakh, some simply skip the entire fatigue and plan on renting a bike in Leh. This makes a lot of sense because Leh is the epicenter of the major attractions of Ladakh. If you start your journey from Leh, it saves a lot of time and effort without missing out on the fun and thrill, Ladakh has on offer.
If you too are one of them who is planning to rent a bike in Leh, then this is an extensive guide of what all things should be kept in mind. Read all the sections to get a complete understanding of everything important.
Places to visit around Leh
The entire Ladakh is divided into 4 regions namely, Leh which is also the capital, Zanskar, Kargil, and Nubra. All these regions have a plethora of quaint and breathtakingly beautiful spots and landscapes. From rugged mountains to snow-clad summits, beauty is spread all across these regions evenly. The major attractions near Leh that can be visited on the bike include:
- Khardung La
- Nubra Valley
- Zanskar Valley
- Hemis Monastery
- Pangong Lake
- Tso Moriri
There are several other places where a person can go but these are going to be on the top of everyone’s list. These places to visit in and around Leh are extremely enjoyable and each one of these is capable of offering tons and tons of pictures and memories.
Which bike is best for a road trip?
The next very important thing or doubt that numerous rides have in mind before renting a bike in Leh is the best pick. Those who are dicey in picking the right ride for this trail can keep reading this section to know more. There are several bike renting companies in Leh and all of them have different availability in terms of bikes on offer. On top of it, there are several aspects that one should consider while choosing the bike. From durability, a sturdy body, powerful engine, fuel-efficiency, mechanical condition, and endurance to have a pillion or single rider; are a few of the important aspects that one should consider while thinking about, “Which bike to rent in Leh?”
Though these roads are challenging but there are still few options that can give you a comfortable ride. So, depending upon the backpack and the amount of comfort needed, a wise decision could be taken. Keep all these factors in mind and then decide.
Here are few top-notch options that one can pick from:
- Royal Enfield Electra 500
- Royal Enfield Classic 350
- Royal Enfield Classic 500
- Royal Enfield Thunderbird 350
- Royal Enfield Himalayan
- Apache 200 4v
- Bajaj Dominar 400
- Bajaj Avenger Street 220
- KTM Duke 250
- KTM Duke 390
- KTM Duke 250 Adventure
Ensure that a choice should only be made once all the aspects are taken care of. The availability of these models can be subject to change or depend on the person renting them. You might get other options as well. If visiting Leh Ladakh during summers, the choice options can be different and a bit extensive because that’s the season when most people visit here. But only choosing a bike is not the last thing for the person renting it. One has to be
The procedure to rent a bike in Leh
There are several places where one can find a bike on rent in Leh and these renting companies have a complete display of bikes which is shown to the person. To rent a bike one has to simply check the rate card, agree on the norms, submit all the required documents, and get the bike keys. Also, you have to submit the security money at the time of renting which will be written in the agreement you sign.
Do inspect the bike from front to back so that if there are any problems, they can be taken into consideration initially. One benefit that all the people who rent a bike in Leh can enjoy is getting permits. People have to buy permits that are shown at the various checkpoints like South Pullu and Nubra Region. But when someone hires a bike from the city to take a tour of Leh Ladakh they can buy the permits from the shop itself.
Cost to rent a bike in Leh
Usually, the rate cards of every bike renting company in Leh is fixed but it may be subject to change with time. When a company includes a few new bikes, they revise the entire rate chart. Also, there are chances that the rates might fluctuate depending on various factors. Nevertheless, one can always bargain to get a sweet deal.
Mostly, the price charts of these companies vary between 800 INR per hour to 1600 INR per hour. It also depends on the bike you choose. But if possible, check the rates online and there are some companies that do accept online pre-booking. All you need to do in such cases is give them a small amount as security.
What to check before renting a bike in Leh?
There is always going to be a difference between a personal and a rented bike. If you are looking for the same comfort, mechanical security, mileage, and other things, that would be a bit too much to ask for. Nevertheless, one can always check a few important things before renting a bike in Leh Ladakh because the entire circuit you are going to ride on is challenging and if there is a breakdown or malfunction, you might be stranded in the middle of nowhere.
- Engine oil level in the bike.
- Clutch and brake wires and their lubrication.
- Brake pads (Front and back both)
- The condition of the tires.
- Condition of the chain including the lubrication.
- At least inspect these things before going out of the company with the bike.
Things you must carry during a bike trip
- While going on a bike trip from Leh one has to keep a few things in their backpack without a miss. Here is a shortlist of all those things, so that you don’t forget them.
- Some snacks that would help in keeping your body warm.
- A water bottle is a must because keeping the body hydrated is an important thing.
- Though you have got the permits from the bike renting company but do keep a few copies of these permits.
- Get multiple copies of all your documents.
- Do ask for a helmet, riding gears, and gloves from the renting company.
- Buy a puncture kit for emergency situations.
Tips to keep in mind before renting a bike for the Leh Trip
- Ensure the good condition of the bike you are planning to hire during inspection to have a pleasant ride.
- Also, get a background check on the renting company if possible. This gives an idea about their services and behavior with customers.
- Make sure there are no hidden charges and know the overhead charged during the breakdown.
- Do not compromise on your safety. Demand for a good helmet and riding gears. If the company executive denies having one either buy yourself or change the company.
- Make sure that the tires and brakes are in optimum condition. The roads of passes are slippery and not maintained properly at some places. This increases the risk of slipping and hurting otherwise.
- Ask for the chain lubricant and engine oil in spare, for ‘just in case moments.
- Carry chocolates, a water bottle, some snacks, and medicines before leaving Leh city.
- Let your body acclimatize according to the atmospheric pressure, and oxygen.
- Keep all your documents including the inner line permit in the backpack and keep multiple photocopies of each of them.
- Keep a puncture kit in the backpack for emergency situations.
- Keep a written map in the backpack so that even when the networks are off, the maps can be used to track the right path.
- How to Prepare for Ladakh Trip
- Facilities in Ladakh
- Family Trip to Ladakh
- How and Where to Carry Spare Fuel
- Ladakh With Parents - Senior Citizens
- How to Carry Laptop
- ATM and Bank Facilities in Leh City
- Things to Carry for Ladakh Winter Trip
- Where & How to Rent an Oxygen Cylinder
- Ladakh in June
- Ladakh in May
- Ladakh in July
- Ladakh in September
- Ladakh in October
- Ladakh in August
- Ladakh in November
- Leh to Nubra Valley
- Delhi to Ladakh
- Bangalore to Ladakh
- Pangong Lake to Tso Moriri
- Travel from Manali to Leh
- Leh to Tso Moriri
- How to Travel to Pangong Tso
- How to Travel Nubra Valley to Pangong Tso via Wari
- Srinagar to Leh
- Leh to Khardung La
- Stay in Ladakh
- Rent a Bike in Ladakh
- Rent a Bike in Leh
- Rent a Bike in Srinagar
- Rent a Bike in Manali
- Mobile Phone Services in Ladakh
- Hotels on Manali Leh Highway
- Hotels on Srinagar Leh Highway
- Hotels Near Tso Moriri
- Hotels in Leh
- Hotels Near Pangong Lake
- Hotels in Nubra Valley
- Mountain Biking
- Leh Jeep Safari
- Adventure Sports
- Mountaineering in Ladakh
- Camping in Ladakh
- Buddhism in Ladakh
- Cuisine in Ladakh
- River Rafting in Ladakh
- History & Culture
- Shopping in Ladakh
- Trekking in Ladakh
- Wildlife in Ladakh
- Tips and Suggestions
- Ladakh in January
- Ladakh in December
- Clothes to carry for your Ladakh Trip
- Medical Facilities
Trending Ladakh Tour Packages