Spituk Monastery, built during the 11th century, also known as Pethup Gompa, was founded by Od-de, the elder brother of Lha Lama Changchub. Today, it is home to 100 monks as well as a giant statue of goddess Kali, which is shown to the public during the yearly Spituk festival. Although founded in the form of a Red Hat institution, it was taken over by the Yellow Hat sect during the 15th century.
Every year, this three-chapel monastery, located 8 km away from the main city of Leh, plays host to the Gustor Festival, held at Spituk during the eleventh month of the Tibetan calendar.
Key information for travelers visiting Spituk Gompa
Here is some key information that you as a traveler should know before visiting Spituk Gompa:
- The gompa is famous for nature lovers and devotees.
- People love to spend 2-3 hours in and around the monastery
- An active tourist destination
Is there any entry fee for Spituk Gompa?
Every traveler has to pay 30 INR as the entry fee on visiting Spituk Gompa.
What is the timing of Spituk Gompa?
The opening time of Spituk Gompa is between 6 am to 1 pm and 1:30 pm to 6 pm. So, plan your trip accordingly.
What are the highlights of Spituk Gompa?
A few highlights of Spituk Gompa are:
- The humongous Kali statue in the vicinity
- The Spituk Gustor festival that is held here annually
- The museum of Spituk Gompa
- The Chaam dance of Lamas
How to reach Spituk Gompa
Spituk Gompa is just 8 km away from Leh and taking a bike trip, cab, or taxi to the monastery is the best way to reach here. If you are an adventure junkie and think of trekking this 8 km, you can do that as well.
What is the best time to visit Spituk Gompa?
Though you can visit the monastery throughout the year, the best time to visit Spituk Gompa is during January. On 29th and 30th January, the Annual Spituk Gustor Festival will be organized next year. This is one of the best festivals celebrated in Ladakh and being a part of this can be a once-in-a-lifetime thing.
What are the important festivals celebrated in Spituk Gompa?
The important festival celebrated in Spituk Gompa is the Annual Spituk Gustor Festival that will be celebrated on 29th and 30th January 2022 next time. This festival is celebrated on the 28th and 29th days of the 11th month according to the Tibetan Calendar.
Popular attractions around Spituk Gompa
Here are some popular attractions around Spituk Gompa:
- Stok Palace Museum- 16 km
- Leh Palace- 8 km
- Gurdwara Pathar Sahib- 18 km
- How to Prepare for Ladakh Trip
- Facilities in Ladakh
- Family Trip to Ladakh
- How and Where to Carry Spare Fuel
- Ladakh With Parents - Senior Citizens
- How to Carry Laptop
- ATM and Bank Facilities in Leh City
- Things to Carry for Ladakh Winter Trip
- Where & How to Rent an Oxygen Cylinder
- Ladakh in June
- Ladakh in May
- Ladakh in July
- Ladakh in September
- Ladakh in October
- Ladakh in August
- Ladakh in November
- Leh to Nubra Valley
- Delhi to Ladakh
- Bangalore to Ladakh
- Pangong Lake to Tso Moriri
- Travel from Manali to Leh
- Leh to Tso Moriri
- How to Travel to Pangong Tso
- How to Travel Nubra Valley to Pangong Tso via Wari
- Srinagar to Leh
- Leh to Khardung La
- Stay in Ladakh
- Rent a Bike in Ladakh
- Rent a Bike in Leh
- Rent a Bike in Srinagar
- Rent a Bike in Manali
- Mobile Phone Services in Ladakh
- Hotels on Manali Leh Highway
- Hotels on Srinagar Leh Highway
- Hotels Near Tso Moriri
- Hotels in Leh
- Hotels Near Pangong Lake
- Hotels in Nubra Valley
- Mountain Biking
- Leh Jeep Safari
- Adventure Sports
- Mountaineering in Ladakh
- Camping in Ladakh
- Buddhism in Ladakh
- Cuisine in Ladakh
- River Rafting in Ladakh
- History & Culture
- Shopping in Ladakh
- Trekking in Ladakh
- Wildlife in Ladakh
- Tips and Suggestions
- Ladakh in January
- Ladakh in December
- Clothes to carry for your Ladakh Trip
Trending Ladakh Tour Packages