Mobile Phone Services in Ladakh
Ladakh- an enchanting place that houses some of the wonderful places of India. With several mesmerizing attractions and pristine places to visit; this union territory is always on the top of the list of travelers. Being a dream destination of many, Ladakh is a wonderful place to be at irrespective of your interest being an adventurer, seasoned biker, nature lover or irrespective of the way you choose to travel be it with family, solo, or friends. Ladakh is a top-notch destination for everyone and this is one place where people get a chance to disconnect themselves from the world and simply enjoy the journey and the vacation.
Amidst challenging roads, scarcity of petrol pumps, exhaustion, there is another prevalent factor that a lot of people think is a misfortune for them and that’s the mobile network connectivity in Ladakh. This is one of the setbacks for many people as they think so, but when you are traveling to a place such as Ladakh, mobile phones are just a tool to click pictures. More or less, people still take this as a great setback of the land of high passes. So, if mobile connections in Ladakh is a question hovering in your head and if it is by anyhow stopping you from visiting here; then this is a complete guide of Ladakh that will help you in knowing various things about the network system.
Note: Only postpaid sims of few service providers work in some areas of Ladakh. No prepaid sim works here.
Mobile Connectivity in Leh
Mobile network connectivity is an issue in all of Ladakh and that’s due to a lot of things. There are several security related reasons but more or less it is about the development. Most areas, including the capital of Ladakh, is moderately developed and mobile connection in Leh is also a concern of many. When it comes to the Connectivity it is just BSNL and Airtel that have their networks and 2G is the maximum speed you will get.
Mobile Connectivity in Pangong Tso
Mobile connections in Pangong Tso are also not definite because it is observed that people using BSNL have got a few connections in the area during a clear day. But it is better to keep in mind that the connections are going to be low or won’t be there in Pangong Tso. On the other hand, feeble network connections are found around Tangse because recently BSNL has put up a new tower in Durbuk. So that improves the Mobile network and internet connectivity in Ladakh; especially Pangong region.
Mobile Connectivity in Nubra Valley
Mobile networks and internet connections in Ladakh are improving year after year but Nubra Valley is still one of those places that will take you back in time. But that’s not a problem at all because there’s a phone booth setup in Diskit Valley of Shyok. So while visiting here, if you are wanting to connect with your loved ones you can use these phone booths.
Mobile Connectivity in Tso Moriri
While traveling towards Tso Moriri, expecting even the feeble mobile network connection would be a problem. There is absolutely no mobile or internet connection in Tso Moriri. You won’t be able to find any phone booth or internet service provider away from Chumathang. That’s the last place you will find mobile connection.
Tips on mobile connectivity in Ladakh
Thousands of people travel to Ladakh each year and many of them are worried about the mobile connectivity in Leh, Nubra and other regions they plan on visiting. If you too have the same concern then here are a few things to keep in mind.
- First things first, while you enter Ladakh, only postpaid sims are going to work. Prepaid connections do not fetch signals here.
- There are only two mobile network providers in Ladakh; one is BSNL and the second one is Airtel. Jio is working in full force to get their networks up and running in the area.
- There are just a few places in all of Ladakh where you can get network connections. The signal strength in Leh and places around that are sufficient to make calls, but as you move away from the city; the networks start to dip.
- You might get connections at Hanle and Nubra, but in most parts there is no connection available.
- Even on the highways, post Srinagar, it is near Sonmarg and Dras-Kargil where you will find mobile connections. Apart from that signals are an issue.
- If coming from the other side which is Manali-Leh highway; Manali to Keylong is fine and the stretch after Upshi can give you enough signals to make a call but apart from that you are going to have problems in connections.
- If you are staying at hotels do ask for WiFi and connect with your parents and loved ones to inform them about your whereabouts.
- There are a few villages where satellite phones are also available. They charge INR 2/min but you can use them to connect with family and loved ones. Use this judiciously.
- Those who are thinking about posting videos and images from Ladakh will not be possible because the best internet coverage that a person can get here is 2G.
- It is better to plan the entire trip in a way that will not include your online presence at all. And isn’t it the reason for you to be in Ladakh in the first place? Enjoy the beauty that’s on offer.
- Because you are going to be all alone at times, it is important for you to be proactive and disciplined. It is ideal to travel only during the day and rest during nights. Try and become a part of any group that’s traveling to the destination you are going to. It will be helpful for you because in many situations people help each other.
- If you think you cannot take this; “getting off your mobile” then it is better not to plan the trip but if you do so, try and enjoy the time in Ladakh to the fullest.
- How to Prepare for Ladakh Trip
- Facilities in Ladakh
- Family Trip to Ladakh
- How and Where to Carry Spare Fuel
- Ladakh With Parents - Senior Citizens
- How to Carry Laptop
- ATM and Bank Facilities in Leh City
- Things to Carry for Ladakh Winter Trip
- Where & How to Rent an Oxygen Cylinder
- Ladakh in June
- Ladakh in May
- Ladakh in July
- Ladakh in September
- Ladakh in October
- Ladakh in August
- Ladakh in November
- Leh to Nubra Valley
- Delhi to Ladakh
- Bangalore to Ladakh
- Pangong Lake to Tso Moriri
- Travel from Manali to Leh
- Leh to Tso Moriri
- How to Travel to Pangong Tso
- How to Travel Nubra Valley to Pangong Tso via Wari
- Srinagar to Leh
- Leh to Khardung La
- Stay in Ladakh
- Rent a Bike in Ladakh
- Rent a Bike in Leh
- Rent a Bike in Srinagar
- Rent a Bike in Manali
- Mobile Phone Services in Ladakh
- Hotels on Manali Leh Highway
- Hotels on Srinagar Leh Highway
- Hotels Near Tso Moriri
- Hotels in Leh
- Hotels Near Pangong Lake
- Hotels in Nubra Valley
- Mountain Biking
- Leh Jeep Safari
- Adventure Sports
- Mountaineering in Ladakh
- Camping in Ladakh
- Buddhism in Ladakh
- Cuisine in Ladakh
- River Rafting in Ladakh
- History & Culture
- Shopping in Ladakh
- Trekking in Ladakh
- Wildlife in Ladakh
- Tips and Suggestions
- Ladakh in January
- Ladakh in December
- Clothes to carry for your Ladakh Trip
- Medical Facilities