Innerline Permits in Ladakh | Ladakh Trip Planner

No Permits Required for Indian Nationals/Tourists in Ladakh

  • The recent circular, published by DM in Leh, states that Indian tourists / nationals do not need any inner line permits in Leh - Ladakh region. This rule is effective from 1st May 2014. Thus, the visitors will now be able to access the restricted regions, such as Dah, Pangong Tso, Hanu Villages, Merak, Man, Tso Moriri, Loma Bend, Nyoma, Khardung La, Turtuk, Nubra Valley (up to Panamik), Tyakshi, Tangyar (for trekking only), and Digger La.
  • As Indian Nationals or Tourists, you only need to present your valid Photo ID Nationality Proof at the ITBP/Army check-posts. ID Proofs such as Driving License, Aadhar Card, Indian Passport, PAN Card, etc., will just acts as permit for you.

For Foreign national Travelers in Ladakh, Jammu and Kashmir government has relaxed the Protected Area Permit (PAP). The government has allowed the foreigners to visit restricted areas in Leh district of Ladakh. Foreign tourists will now be permitted to visit a number of unexplored areas like Panamik, Phukpochey, Hargam, Taksha, Sasoma, Chaglung, Kobet, Aranu, Khemi, Warshi, including Yarma Gompa/ Yarma Gonbo Monastery of the Nubra Valley in Leh.

Before Leaving, Some Important Points To Take Care/Remember:

  • Though being an Indian tourist/national, you need to apply for Inner Line Permits for acquiring access in the regions of Hanle, Tsaga, Chusul, beyond Loma bend, Marsimik La, Chumur, and Batalik sectors.
  • The process for applying for Inner Line Permits is still the same.
  • Acclimatization is necessary and equally required.
  • It is advised not to visit Tso Moriri en route from Manali to Leh. Though there is no inner line permit required, but you need to be acclimatized to sleep at such high elevation of Tso Moriri Lake (4500 m) in thin air.

For those traveling to Ladakh, it is mandatory to obtain innerline permits to visit certain areas. A journey to the Leh Ladakh region is a once in a lifetime experience for anybody. Since Ladakh shares its boundaries with Tibet, locals and international tourists need to obtain inner line permits to visit certain areas in the Ladakh region. Although a permit is not required for Leh but Indians and foreigners need to register at Drass, Rumtse and Sarchu, in case they are traveling by road. However, those who are traveling by air, get themselves registered at the airport itself.

One has to obtain Protected Area permits from the Deputy Commissioner’s Office at Leh. The DC office is located in Leh town.

You are required to fill an application form to get your permits approved. The application forms for the permit are available at the Photostat shops nearby Deputy Commissioner’s office. The DC office is open between 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM and forms are not accepted after 3:00 PM.

The cost of Inner Line Permit comprises of INR 200 per person as environment tax, INR 20 per person per day for as wildlife protection fee, and INR 10 per person per day that goes in charity towards Red Cross Society. For instance, if a person requires a permit for a span of 4 days, he will have to pay INR 320 [INR 200 + INR 120 (INR 30 multiplied by 4)]. However, if you happen to be a student, you only have to pay INR 20 for obtaining the permit, just by furnishing your school / college identity card.

Once you’ve obtained the permit, you can set out further to explore this cold desert. However, you don’t require permits on Manali-Leh, Srinagar-Leh highway and local attractions near Leh town.

Get along with you the attested copies of valid nationality proof’s such as passport, voter ID, Pan card and Driving License. You can obtain permits for the entire group but you’ll have to fill the necessary details of the group members in the consent application form and attach attested photocopies of Photo-ID cards for each group member.

Most hotels in Ladakh provide the facility of obtaining Inner Line Permits for their guests. For that you’ll have to share the attested photocopies of your ID proofs with them through the mail. The approval procedure for a permit may take from 0.5 to 3 hours and the permits are approved in two batches-Morning and Evening. However, it is advisable to go for early morning batch and there is no rush of tourists.

What to Fill in the Application Form?

No matter whether you are filling an individual form or for the entire group, you need to mention the following details:

  • Name (each person in the group)
  • Parent/Guardian Name (each person in the group)
  • Complete Permanent Address
  • Name of the places you are visiting
  • Specific dates for which you want the permit

If you want to mention, you can mention the name and address of the hotel you are staying in.

In the application form, you are required to enlist all the major villages/towns/ attractions en-route your Ladakh  trip. For example, if you are  writing Nubra Valley, it will automatically cover places such as Diskit, Sumer, Hunder and Panamik. However, if you are required to visit Turtuk, you should particularly mention Turtuk. Remember skipping any of the en-route destination or attraction may cause rejection of your application.

Apart from permit application form, you are required to write an application form addressing the deputy commissioner of Leh to get your permits approved. In the letter, you’ll have to mention the required dates and the places you want to travel. Both the request letter and application form must be in agreement with each other for places and dates.

Kindly make 2 to 3 copies of the entire set comprising of the Application Form, Request Letter and Photo ID’s of all the members of the group. Once you’ve prepared the individual set of the documents, kindly submit them at the Deputy Commissioner’s office along with the original documents. You’ll have to pay the deposit fees for the required permits.

After depositing the fees, clerk will tell you to go and get your documents signed by the ADC. However, if clerk himself places your documents in the ADC room, it will usually take around 1 to 3 hours. Once your documents are approved with a stamp, you’ll have to rush back to the nearby Photostate shop to make copies of the approved documents. These photocopies have to be submitted at every check post that you’ll come across.

For foreigners, the Inner Line Permits are valid for 1 week and for Indians, it is 3 weeks. On the other hand, there is no limitation on entering a particular area in the applicable period. Also, do carry multiple passport size photographs as you never know when the need arises. The permits for traveling to the Changthang region are only issued to the Indian tourists not to foreign nationals. Here is the crux of above mentioned procedure.

For International Travelers

It is advisable that you furnish the below given papers, at least 1 day before the date of the tour for processing the permit:

  • A copy of your Passport and Visa
  • A nominal fee is chargeable in regard to the Travelling Area

For domestic Travelers

It is advisable that you furnish the below given papers, at least 1 day before the date of the tour for processing the permit:

  • A copy of your Identity Proof
  • A nominal fee is charged in regard to the Travelling Area