Shanti Stupa in Leh is one of the magnificent monuments of the city. It is a white-domed monument that was built in 1991 to commemorate 2500 years of Buddhism and to also promote world peace. It is one of the major attractions of the city where a lot of people love visiting. It is a two-level structure that looks intriguing with all the details. Shanti Stupa perched on a mountain summit which is why the view from the top is simply astonishing.
People visit here for both reasons; firstly as it is a religious place and secondly it offers amusing views from the top. Shanti Stupa is constructed approximately 3600 m above sea level and is a hub for adventure junkies due to the thrill it offers. It is enjoyable to visit this amazing attraction but you need to keep a few things in mind too. Refer to the last section to know more about it!
Here is the detailed information about Shanti Stupa in Ladakh
A brief history of Shanti Stupa of Ladakh
The history of Shanti Stupa Ladakh speaks a lot about the ideology behind its construction. It was built in 1991 by Gyomyo Nakamura who was a Japanese Buddhist Bhikshu. The motive behind building this structure was to promote world peace and prosperity.
Shanti Stupa in Leh Ladakh was a part of the Peace Pagoda mission and has a lot of religious significance too. Moreover, the structure holds the relics of Lord Buddha in its base. It is believed that these relics were enshrined here by the 14th Dalai Lama.
Highlights of Shanti Stupa
Shanti Stupa in Ladakh is amongst the top-visited attractions of the city. People love to spend some time at this attraction for a lot of reasons. Here are some highlights of the monument:
- The breathtaking panoramic view from the summit.
- The relics are enshrined in the base of the Stupa.
- The deity of Gautam Buddha in Golden color.
- 500 steps to reach the top
Best time to visit Shanti Stupa
The best time to visit Shanti Stupa is between June and September which is also the peak season to visit Ladakh. This is the time when the bright summer sun shines in the clear sky to give a jaw-dropping view of the surroundings.
Apart from this, the best time to visit here is at noon. That’s the time when you get the best view and the most comfortable temperature.
Location of Shanti Stupa Leh
The distance between Shanti Stupa and Leh is approximately 4 km which is from the Leh main bazaar. One can hike up to the monument or take a cab to reach here.
Shanti Stupa timings and price
- Shanti Stupa Ladakh is open for tourists between 5 am and 9 pm.
- Also, 1 hour is enough to enjoy the beauty around the stupa and the structure.
- There is no charge to enter the stupa premises which are divided into two stories.
Best places to visit around Shanti Stupa
Shanti Stupa is not the only place you can enjoy yourself at. There are a few more attractions around the stupa. While you plan on visiting here, if time allows, make sure these places are also on your list:
- Sankar Gompa- 1.8 km from Shanti Stupa
- The Leh Palace- 2.8 km from Shanti Stupa
- Spituk Gompa- 9.4 km from Shanti Stupa
- Hall of fame museum- 6.9 km from Shanti Stupa
- Gomang Stupa- 2.2 km from Shanti Stupa
If you want to cover all these places you should create your route in the pattern given below. It is a complete circuit and you won’t have to toss between attractions:
Shanti Stupa- Sankar Gompa- Leh Palace- Hall of Fame museum- Spituk Gompa- Gomang Stupa
Rules of Shanti Stupa in Leh Ladakh
- You will have to take out your shoes before entering the main stupa area.
- There is a fine for people who are found smoking or under the influence of alcohol.
- It is important to keep the decorum of the place intact. There are certain rules written on the entry. Make sure you adhere to all of them without a miss.
Tips to remember before visiting
- There is a trek to reach the top so wear comfortable clothes and shoes.
- Keep a water bottle while heading out on this hiking journey.
- Enjoy photography sessions while at the summit of the stupa.
- Make sure you respect all the rules and regulations of the monument.
- How to Prepare for Ladakh Trip
- Facilities in Ladakh
- Family Trip to Ladakh
- How and Where to Carry Spare Fuel
- Ladakh With Parents - Senior Citizens
- How to Carry Laptop
- ATM and Bank Facilities in Leh City
- Things to Carry for Ladakh Winter Trip
- Where & How to Rent an Oxygen Cylinder
- Ladakh in June
- Ladakh in May
- Ladakh in July
- Ladakh in September
- Ladakh in October
- Ladakh in August
- Ladakh in November
- Leh to Nubra Valley
- Delhi to Ladakh
- Bangalore to Ladakh
- Pangong Lake to Tso Moriri
- Travel from Manali to Leh
- Leh to Tso Moriri
- How to Travel to Pangong Tso
- How to Travel Nubra Valley to Pangong Tso via Wari
- Srinagar to Leh
- Leh to Khardung La
- Stay in Ladakh
- Rent a Bike in Ladakh
- Rent a Bike in Leh
- Rent a Bike in Srinagar
- Rent a Bike in Manali
- Mobile Phone Services in Ladakh
- Hotels on Manali Leh Highway
- Hotels on Srinagar Leh Highway
- Hotels Near Tso Moriri
- Hotels in Leh
- Hotels Near Pangong Lake
- Hotels in Nubra Valley
- Mountain Biking
- Leh Jeep Safari
- Adventure Sports
- Mountaineering in Ladakh
- Camping in Ladakh
- Buddhism in Ladakh
- Cuisine in Ladakh
- River Rafting in Ladakh
- History & Culture
- Shopping in Ladakh
- Trekking in Ladakh
- Wildlife in Ladakh
- Tips and Suggestions
- Ladakh in January
- Ladakh in December
- Clothes to carry for your Ladakh Trip
- Medical Facilities