Alchi Monastery, located in the Alchi village in Leh, was built by the great translator Guru Rinchen Zangpo between 958 and 1055. Today it is being monitored by Likir Monastery. This monastery is actually a complex of temples consisting of 4 separate portions that has monuments built at different times. The main complex has three temples- gTsug-lag-Khang (main temple), 'Jam-dpal lHa-Khang (Manjushri temple) and Dukhang (assembly hall).
Alchi monastery is one of the most well-known ones. The walls of the site are adorned with paintings depicting the details of Hinu kings as well as the teaching of Buddhism. There is also a huge Buddha statue in the complex, a famous tourist attraction.