Deskit Gustor Festival
23rd October 2022
24th October 2022
Deskit Gustor Festival Ladakh Detailed Information
Founded by Changzem Tserab Zangpo, a disciple of Tsong-kha-pa, Deskit Monastery is the largest and the oldest surviving monastery in Nubra Valley. Overlooking the valley and Shayok River, the monastery stands atop a hill. The Diskit Gompa or Diskit Gompa belongs to the Yellow Hat (Gelugpa) sect of Tibetan Buddhism and is known for Diskit Gustor in Leh Ladakh.
Highlights of Deskit Gustor festival
- Deskit Gustor is celebrated in Diskit Monastery with a lot of zeal.
- The festival is celebrated for two consecutive days.
- The celebration of this festival marks the victory of good over evil.
- The effigy of a demon is burned during the festival.
- The Chaam performance of Lamas is the highlight of this festival at the monastery.
- People show their excellence in musical instruments like longhorns and cymbals.
- Songs are played and sung both these days by the locals and joined by travelers too.
- People from all the nearby villages of Ladakh take part in celebrating this festival by accumulating at the Diskit Monastery.
Where is deskit Gustor celebrated?
Approximately 118 km from Leh city towards the Diskit Village in Nubra Valley in the Diskit Monastery.
Is this an important festival in Ladakh?
Yes, Deskit Gustor is one of the most important festivals in Ladakh that is enjoyed by locals from different villages and nearby areas.
How to reach Diskit Monastery to celebrate this festival?
It is celebrated in early October this year and probably the roads would be open from Srinagar during that time. But if not, you can take a flight to Leh and then from there head towards the Nubra Valley crossing South and North Pullu and Khardung La. Here is a quick route map for your convenience:
Leh City- South Pullu - Khardung La Top- North Pullu- Khardung Village- Khalsar- Diskit Monastery
Are travelers invited? Or can the travelers visit the monastery during the festival?
A lot of people travel to Ladakh in order to enjoy this wonderful festival that is celebrated at the Diskit Monastery. The travelers are welcomed to the monastery by the locals and they enjoy it in the same manner as the locals.
Note: You will have to be considerate enough to follow the rules and respect the sentiments of the locals and Lamas.
Trending Ladakh Tour Packages