The building complex of Shey Monastery located on the hilltop of Shey (the summer capital of the Leh city) is 15kms towards the South of the main city of Ladakh. It was built in 1655 after the order the king of Ladakh, Deldan Namgyal (Lhachen Palgyigon). The building which is mostly in ruins today was built by the king in the memory of his deceased father Singay Namgyal,.
The major attraction in the monastery is a huge gold-plated copper statue of seated Shakyamuni Buddha, which is also the second largest statue in Ladakh. In front of the statue, is a large wax bowl with a flame, which continuously lighted for a year, after which it is replaced.